We ate at the hotel buffet breakfast. At 9 euros each it was a good deal.
Also today is the first day we needed our light jackets since we were dropped off at the airport.
We took the metro to the station closest to El Retiro park which is highlighted on many sources as a “must do”. The park is very large and quite beautiful. There were numerous people running or walking their dogs. Amazingly most of the dogs were off leash.
We spent a solid hour and a half walking around enjoying the views.
Our tickets to The Prado museum were for a 12:30 entry however we were able to get in at 11:30.
The museum is FULL of paintings. No photos are allowed inside so I went on line and downloaded the following three. I was also surprised to see so many Diego Velazquez paintings were there ( i like his stuff). I had no idea he was so prolific. Other prolific painters in the museum were Goya and El Greco. I found I really don’t like El Greco so I am happy we didn’t waste time in Toledo at the museum that houses many more of his output.
VelazquezJust before we left we found a collection of vases and jewelled cups which originated from the grandson of Louis 14th of France. They were gorgeous.
There have been major demonstrations going on in Spain and one major one was very near the museum. As we were leaving the museum a couple hours later to get back to the metro station the stream of people heading down the street (closed off by numerous police vehicles and patrolmen) seemed to heading to the same station. CHANGE of plans LOL. We found a tapas bar a couple blocks off the street and had refreshments and super good tapas. Yummy!
After that we decided to just walk back to our hotel ( about a kilometre).
Our feet are quite sore today so we relaxed in our room for a couple of hours.
Supper tonight was at the Plaza Mayor again ( same as last night but a different restaurant ). While we were waiting for our food, a beggar came through asking for money. We have been quite surprised at the number of beggars in Spain. I am also surprised that they go through restaurants; open air like tonight and inside restaurants like what happened in Toledo.
Incidentally the food was great but we over-ordered….again. LOL









No comments:
Post a Comment